Work with us!
The ACT Law Society is the peak body for legal practitioners in the ACT. The Society represents, advances, and defends the interests of an independent legal profession in the ACT. We also protect the public interest in the ACT system of justice through efficient regulation of the profession.
We are a small, dedicated, and supportive team of staff working with more than 3,000 members across all parts of the legal profession in the ACT. The Society advocates for the profession with key stakeholders and provides a range of services for members, including providing information resources and guidance, and delivering a range of continuing professional development and networking activities throughout the year.
Staff benefits include a 35-hour full time work week, opportunities for further training, an Employee Assistance Program for confidential counselling support, free annual flu vaccinations, and additional paid leave days between Christmas and New Year and two additional wellbeing days per year.
Full time (hours negotiable)
Based in Canberra CBD
Reporting to Manager, Policy and Programs
The Policy Officer plays a key role in the policy and advocacy work of the Society, working with the Society’s special interest committees and other team members. The Policy Officer provides legal research, policy development and advice, and liaises with key internal and external stakeholders.
The successful candidate should have a professional presentation, excellent legal research and analytical skills and highly developed written and oral communication skills.
Main duties/responsibilities of position
- Prepare research papers, submissions, correspondence and policy advice
- Conduct research and liaise with other organisations to develop papers on issues of interest to the ACT legal profession
- Monitor changes in the legislative and policy environment and work with the relevant Committee Chairs, committee members, and other team members as appropriate, to identify issues relevant for committee consideration
- Liaise and engage with members, the Law Council of Australia, other Law Societies and other key stakeholder organisations on policy issues as appropriate
- Attend meetings of committees of the Society, and present policy issues papers as required
- Prepare/contribute to articles, factsheets, guidance materials and other information resources
- Delegate tasks to the Research Officer to ensure research papers, submissions and policy advice are delivered on time and to the required standard
- Support management to develop operational policies and procedures required
- Perform other duties as directed and necessary in a small team and for the proper performance of the role
Skills, experience & personal qualities
- A qualification in law (Bachelor of Laws, Juris Doctor or equivalent legal qualification – admission to practice and a current practising certificate are not necessary)
- Current or previous experience in a legal practice, policy or research environment and interest in a broad range of areas of legal practice
To discuss the postion please contact Jaime Shields - Manager, Policy and Programs on 6274 0301 or email email@example.com
To apply for the position please send through a resume and one page cover letter addressing the main duties/responsibilities of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org
As a service to our members, we also maintain a Positions Vacant page for legal roles available in the ACT region.