Community Legal Centres
Canberra Community Law have launched a website covering common legal areas that have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Canberra Community Law is a community legal centre providing legal services to people on low incomes or facing other disadvantage in Canberra and its region.
- Night Time Legal Advice Service provides information, referral or one-off legal advice in most areas of law. Call 6218 7999 or drop in (Tuesdays 6-8pm from February to December each year).
- The Dhurrawang Aboriginal Human Rights Program provides legal assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities on ACT Public Housing, Centrelink and race discrimination. Call 6218 7900.
- Housing Law can provide free legal advice if you are having problems with Housing ACT or a community housing provider in the ACT. Call 6218 7977.
- A Public Housing Duty Lawyer is at the ACT Civil & Administrative Tribunal (ACAT) each Thursday. Call 6218 7977.
- Disability Discrimination Law can help if you have been discriminated against because of your disability. Call 6218 7918.
- Street Law provides legal help to people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Call 6218 7995.
- Social Security Law can help you with Centrelink and Social Security matters if you are living in the ACT or south east NSW. Call 6218 7977.
- The Socio-Legal Practice Clinic can provide intensive legal and social work support. Call 6218 7900.
The Women’s Legal Centre is run by women and aims to improve women’s access to justice. Their main areas of practice are family law, domestic violence, victims of crime, employment and discrimination.
- The Centre offers free, confidential telephone advice Monday to Friday 9.30am to 12 noon. Call 6257 4499.
The Aboriginal Legal Service is an Aboriginal community organisation giving information and referral, and legal advice and court representation, to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men, women and children across NSW and ACT.
- Legal Aid ACT and the Aboriginal Legal Service staff a clinic to provide legal advice to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community members on family law, care and protection, and general/civil matters. The clinic runs fortnightly on Wednesday afternoons, offering half hour advice sessions. Call 6249 8488 to make an appointment.
The Consumer Law Centre provides free legal advice and assistance to low and moderate income consumers, primarily in the areas of consumer credit, telecommunications and utilities, fair trading and consumer protection.
- The Consumer Debt Enforcement Clinic provides legal services to individual consumers affected by debts that are being enforced, or at risk of being enforced, in court. Call 6143 0044 to make an appointment.
The Environmental Defender’s Office advises on environmental and planning law and aim to increase public awareness of environmental laws and remedies.
- They offer a free initial advice service of up to two hours on questions relating to the environmental law. Call 6243 3460 to make an appointment.
The Animal Defenders Office specialises in animal law. They assist individuals and groups with matters affecting animals and their (human) defenders.