The ACT Law Society offers discounted membership for people studying law and associated disciplines.
For just $25 a year, students can become a member of the Law Society, and will get:
- Our weekly email update containing news specific to the ACT legal profession.
- Our quarterly magazine Ethos, containing articles on a range of topical legal issues, case notes, social photos, and more.
- Access to a range of networking events so you can make contacts in the industry.
- Confidential third-party counselling available over the phone, in person, or online.
- Discounted professional development courses on a range of topics.
- Specialised events and resources in areas like property law, family law, and international law, as well as for lawyers working in government, or in their first five years of practise.
- As you approach your entry to the profession, connection with a senior practitioner to move your admission.
Student membership is open to any person not yet admitted to practice law who is studying a law-related discipline at a recognised Australian tertiary institution (evidence of your enrolment will need to be provided).
New Lawyers Committee
If you’re studying law, or are in the process of completing your GDLP or PLT, our very active New Lawyers Committee is here to help you prepare to move into the legal industry.
Throughout the year, the New Lawyers Committee organises a number of events, both social and professional. This includes an annual new lawyers workshop to help you transition to working as a lawyer, and free networking drinks following admissions ceremonies to celebrate your achievement and connect you with other new lawyers and potential mentors and employers.
How do I join the Law Society?
To join, visit to our "Join the Society" page and follow the prompts.
If you need any assistance, you can call us on 6274 0300.