The President is elected by the members of the Society. Elections are held annually, and results are announced at the AGM in September each year.
- Chairs the Executive Committee and oversees the implementation of its decisions.
- Is spokesperson for the Society.
- Responds to enquiries or concerns from members.
- Appoints the members of the Society's Committees.
- Liaises with politicians, government agencies, the Law Council of Australia and its constituent bodies (i.e. other Law Societies and Bar Associations), the media, other professional and industry bodies, and members of the public.
Elizabeth Carroll is the current president of the ACT Law Society. Her election was declared at the Society’s AGM on Thursday 24 September 2020.
Elizabeth is Chief Legal Counsel at IP Australia, contributing to Australian innovation by providing strategic legal advice and managing the provision of all legal services to the agency. She has over a decade of experience leading the legal teams of three Commonwealth agencies and ten years’ experience in private practice. She was first elected to Council in 2017, and was elected Vice President in 2018. She joined the Law Society's Government Law Committee in 2018, and received the Society's Government Law Award in 2016.
With experience in both government and private practice, Elizabeth is representative of the diverse nature of our local profession, and she is passionate about the role professional associations play in benefitting members and the wider community. From 2015-2019, she was Chair of the Australian Government Legal Network (AGLN), representing over 1,700 Commonwealth government lawyers, and was an AGLN Board member for six years. A strong supporter of the professional development of young lawyers, in 2013 she established the AGLN’s Legal Circles Mentoring Program.
She received the ACT Law Society's Government Law Award in 2016. In 2020 she was recognised in Australasian Lawyer's In-house Leaders List. In 2019 she was listed in Managing Intellectual Property Magazine's 50 Most Influential People in IP. She was also a finalist for the ACC Government Lawyer of the Year Award in 2018 and a finalist in the General Counsel of the Year category for the Lawyers Weekly Women in Law Awards 2019. Her team is currently a finalist in the Government Team of the Year category and she is a finalist in the Government Lawyer of the Year category of the 2020 Corporate Counsel Awards.
- Chris Donohue — 2018-2020
- Sarah Avery — 2016-2018
- Martin Hockridge — 2013-2016
- Noor Blumer — 2011-2013
- Athol Opas — 2009-2011
- Rod Barnett — 2007-2009
- Greg Walker — 2005-2007
- Bill Redpath — 2003-2005
- Denis Farrar — 2001-2003
- Christopher Chenoweth OAM — 1999-2001
- Gregory Burnett — 1997-1999
- Anne Trimmer — 1995-1997
- Robert Clynes — 1993-1995
- Russell Miller AM — 1991-1993
- Michael Phelps — 1989-1991
- Christopher Crowley — 1987-1989
- Gregory Stretton SC — 1985-1987
- The Hon John Faulks — 1983-1985
- David Crossin AM OBE — 1980-1983
- The Hon David Harper OAM — 1978-1980
- The Hon John Gallop AC QC RFD — 1976-1978
- James O'Neill — 1973-1976
- John Ellis — 1970-1973
- The Hon Kevin O'Leary QC — 1967-1970
- Bryan Meagher — 1964-1967
- Cyril Davies — 1936-1964
- Henry Deane — 1934-1935
- Frederick Woodward — 1933-1934