The Annual Dinner and Awards Night is an opportunity to come together and celebrate the work of the Law Society and local profession over the course of the year, and features the 2022 ACT Law Awards. Join us for a magnificent meal at the iconic Boathouse By The Lake and celebrate the local lawyers who inspire us all.
- When: 6.30pm, Friday 4 November 2022
- Where: The Boathouse by the Lake, Grevillea Park, Menindee Drive, Barton
- Dress: Creative black tie
- Cost: $160 per person (please contact us about table bookings)
- RSVP by COB Thursday 27 October 2022
Event registration terms and conditions
If you have been to an active Covid-19 hotspot, are a close contact of an active case, or feel unwell, we kindly ask you not to attend.
The Law Society is enforcing covid-safe measures as set out by ACT Health at all our face-to-face events.
If you have been to an active Covid-19 hotspot as listed by the ACT Government, are a close contact of an active case, or feel unwell in the lead up to the event, we kindly ask you not to attend.
In these circumstances, please advise us by email prior to the event start time and we will issue you a full refund. Contact us on email@example.com.
Fees are payable upon registration. 30 days payment invoices are available to members at the discretion of the Law Society. A 1.2% surcharge may be incurred on payments processed via credit/debit card. The Society reserves the right to cancel or alter events at its discretion, and in such circumstances, attendees will be notified via email.
Definitions — 'Registration' means any booking given to the Society in writing, on our website, or by phone. 'Member' means any member of the ACT Law Society, including associate members and honorary members. 'New Lawyer' means any member who has held a practising certificate for five years or less. 'CLC' means any member working for a recognised community legal centre, or holding a volunteer practising certificate. 'Student' means any member holding a student membership.
All cancellations must be made in writing, and all cancellations will incur a fee, however, no charge will be incurred for substituting another person. Outside of the cancellation periods given below, a $10 administration fee will be incurred for any cancellation made. If a registered attendee fails to attend without notifying the Society in writing, no credit or refund will be offered and 100% of the total cost will be retained by the Society.
CPD Events — In the case of CPD events held at an venue other than the Law Society, no refund can be made after the RSVP date of the event. In the case of CPD events held at the Law Society, for cancellations made within two working days of the event, 50% of the total cost will be retained by the Society as a cancellation fee and the balance may be used as a credit towards other CPD events or be refunded. If you choose to keep a credit it will remain valid for 12 months from the event date, after which time it will expire.
Webinars — In the case of live or on-demand webinars, as connection details are sent when registration is completed, no refund or cancellation is available.
Social events — In the case of social events, no refund can be made after the RSVP date of the event.
The 2022 ACT Law Awards
The Law Society's annual ACT Law Awards exist to recognise our outstanding local lawyers and firms. The awards are:
- The President’s Medal, recognising significant personal and professional contributions of a local legal practitioner to the improvement of law and justice in the community.
- The ACT Firm of the Year, recognising the efforts of local firms in contributing to access to justice, and to a diverse and healthy legal profession.
- The Pro Bono Service Award, recognising the vital community legal work done by individual practitioners.
- The Government Law Award, recognising the achievements of practitioners working in government.
- The New Lawyer of the Year, recognising the achievements of early career lawyers.
ACT Firm of the Year finalists
- Chamberlains Law Firm
- Farrar Gesini Dunn
- Griffin Legal
- Ken Cush & Associates
Pro Bono Service Award finalists
- Chloe Curran, Hijazi Curran Cameron Lawyers
- Pierre Johannessen, Johannessen Legal
- Sayward McKeown, Chamberlains Law Firm
- Sam Tierney, Ken Cush & Associates
Government Law Award finalists
- Adrian D’Amico, Department of Defence
- Patrick Hornby, Australian Transport Safety Bureau
- Kristine Scheul, ACT Transport Canberra and City Services Directorate
New Lawyer of the Year finalists
- Molly Campbell, Sparke Helmore Lawyers
- Daniel Magnussen, Farrar Gesini Dunn
- Liana Tomassini, United Workers Union
- Jacqueline Williams, Department of Defence
- The Hon Justice Geoffrey Kennett, Patron of the ACT Law Society New Lawyers Committee
- Shane Rattenbury MLA, ACT Attorney-General
- Elizabeth Carroll, President, ACT Law Society
- Chris Donohue, Immediate Past President, ACT Law Society
- Sarah Avery, former President, ACT Law Society
- Susan Platis, Councillor, ACT Law Society
- Ian Temby, Councillor, ACT Law Society
- Simone Carton, CEO, ACT Law Society
- Angus Tye, Chair, ACT Law Society Government Law Committee
- Andrew Giddings, co-Chair, ACT Law Society New Lawyers Committee
Each year, the Law Society commissions a local artist to create a new and unique set of awards. In 2022, Canberra timber artist Ed Collett of EAC Design has created the trophies, using reclaimed timber from the old ACT Supreme Court courtrooms. Thin slices of silky oak have been painstakingly steam-bent to create a unique flowing design.
|Single ticket||$160.00(GST incl.)||Register|
Sponsors & Supporters
Leo Cussen Centre for Law provides post-graduate legal education to lawyers and other professions working in and around the law and is proud to be celebrating 50 years of providing high quality legal education in Australia. Upon completion of PLT, graduates are awarded a Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (GDLP) enabling an application for admission to legal practice to be made.
Leo Cussen is now delivering its GDLP to all Canberra based law graduates, with the onsite components taught at ANU College of Law.
Leo Cussen graduates are highly sought-after by employers across Australia. Part of this is the very practical way in which our course is taught. Our PLT course is a simulated practice model where graduates learn to run their own files with the support of legal practitioner mentors – learning to work as a lawyer with lawyers. The course involves carrying out all day-to-day work of a lawyer and learning to manage a client file from beginning to end: the first phone call conversation to the first face to face meeting, retainer letters, costs disclosures, researching and providing advice about a client's legal situation, negotiating and preparing legal documents or representing a client in a court or tribunal. Our students also finalise and close their files, so they understand all aspects of running a legal matter from beginning to end.
Leo Cussen employs Lawyer Mentors to teach in our program, working closely with our students in the same way as a supervisor does in practice. We welcome the profession to assess and provide feedback on practical tasks undertaken as part of the course, these include activities such as advocacy, client interviewing, ethics discussions and will signings.
Please feel free to contact us if you would like to know more about our programs or to become involved – contact ACT Mentor and Lawyer Tiffany Long at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In recognition of our longstanding support of the ACT legal profession, Lawcover is delighted to sponsor the Law Society of ACT Annual Dinner and Awards Night.
Lawcover’s unique position as a profession-owned professional indemnity insurer of law practices in ACT, NSW and the NT, grants us deep insights into legal practice and the communities it serves.
We are focused on continuing to provide enduring insurance protection and claims prevention education to ACT lawyers, while promoting best practice of the law.
Thank you to the ACT Law Society for the work you do on behalf of the profession and for the opportunity to sponsor your Annual Dinner and Awards Night. Our very best wishes for a successful event.