Friday, 4 June 2021
Nominate for the ACT Law Awards
Recognising outstanding local lawyers and firms
The ACT Law Society administers five awards, recipients of which are announced at our Annual Dinner & Awards Night in late August each year. The awards are:
- The President’s Medal, recognising significant personal and professional contributions of a local legal practitioner to the improvement of law and justice in the community.
- The ACT Firm of the Year, recognising the efforts of local firms in contributing to access to justice, and to a diverse and healthy legal profession.
- The Pro Bono Service Award, recognising the vital community legal work done by individual practitioners.
- The Government Law Award, recognising the achievements of practitioners working in government.
- The Young Lawyer of the Year, recognising the achievements of early career lawyers.
Each year, the Law Society commissions a local artist to create a new and unique set of awards. In 2021, Canberra timber artist Clare Solomon has created “Represent / Advance / Defend” — using rescued timber from the old Supreme Court, three different species of reclaimed timber float off an acid etched steel panel on a timber base. The three pillars of timber represent the Law Society’s mission statement, which in part is to “Represent, advance, and defend the interests of an independent legal profession in the ACT.”
The Awards process
Nominations for the President’s Medal must be put forward by a person other than the nominee. For all other awards, individuals (or firms, where relevant) may self-nominate, or be nominated by someone else (subject to the nominees’ consent). Each nomination must be accompanied by documentation which:
- explicitly addresses the eligibility criteria
- provides the names and contact details (and/or written references) of at least two referees who may be asked to attest to the achievements on which the nomination is based.
At the discretion of the CEO, the ACT Law Society may choose to acknowledge all award nominees, a short list of finalists, or only the winner, having regard to the number of nominations in each category and any recommendations made by the judging panels.
Nominations for the 2021 ACT Law Awards close at 5pm on Monday 26 July.