Recognising outstanding local lawyers and firms
The ACT Law Society administers the Annual ACT Law Awards, recipients of which are announced at our Annual Dinner & Awards Night each year.
The ACT Law Awards are:
- The President's Medal, recognising significant personal and professional contributions of a local legal practitioner to the improvement of law and justice in the community.
- The ACT Firm of the Year, recognising the efforts of local firms in contributing to access to justice, and to a diverse and healthy legal profession.
- The Pro Bono Service Award, recognising the vital community legal work done by individual practitioners.
- The Government Law Award, recognising the achievements of practitioners working in government.
- The New Lawyer of the Year, recognising the achievements of early career lawyers.
Other awards, recognition, and prizes
Our New Lawyers Committee administers the annual ACT Golden Gavel Speaking Competition, which is held during Law Week each year.
From time to time, the Law Society Council also issues Honorary Memberships.
We also recognise the contribution of our long-serving members with 40 Year service pins, which are distributed at our Annual Dinner & Awards Night in August each year.
The Society also contributes Prizes for Academic Excellence at the ANU and UC Law Schools.
In addition, the Law Society runs several sporting competitions throughout the year.
In this Section
The President's Medal
The President's Medal recognises significant contributions of a local practitioner to the improvement of law and justice in the community.Find out more
ACT Firm of the Year
The ACT Firm of the Year Award recognises local firms contributing to access to justice, and to a diverse and healthy profession.Find out more
The Pro Bono Service Award
The Pro Bono Service Award recognises the vital community legal work done by individual practitioners in the ACT.Find out more
The Government Law Award
The Government Law Award recognises the achievements of practitioners working in government.Find out more
The New Lawyer of the Year
The New Lawyer of the Year Award recognises the achievements of early career lawyers.Find out more
The ACT Golden Gavel
The Golden Gavel is a comedic speaking competition for young lawyers. Winners go on to compete at a national level.Find out more
Honorary Membership is conferred on persons who have contributed significantly to the Law Society or to the ACT legal profession.Find out more
40 years' service
The Society recognises and congratulates members who have completed forty years in service since their admission to the legal profession.Find out more
Prizes for Academic Excellence
The Law Society funds prizes for law students studying at the University of Canberra and the Australian National University.Find out more
The Law Society runs a range of sporting events for its members, encouraging collegiality, fitness, and mental health.Find out more