Recognising outstanding local lawyers and firms
The ACT Law Society administers the Annual ACT Law Awards, recipients of which are announced at our Annual Dinner & Awards Night in late August each year.
The ACT Law Awards are:
- The President's Medal, recognising significant personal and professional contributions of a local legal practitioner to the improvement of law and justice in the community.
- The ACT Firm of the Year, recognising the efforts of local firms in contributing to access to justice, and to a diverse and healthy legal profession.
- The Pro Bono Service Award, recognising the vital community legal work done by individual practitioners.
- The Government Law Award, recognising the achievements of practitioners working in government.
- The Young Lawyer of the Year, recognising the achievements of early career lawyers.
Other awards, recognition, and prizes
Our Young Lawyers Committee administers the annual ACT Golden Gavel Speaking Competition, which is held during Law Week each year.
From time to time, the Law Society Council also issues Honorary Memberships.
We also recognise the contribution of our long-serving members with 40 Year service pins, which are distributed at our Annual Dinner & Awards Night in August each year.
The Society also contributes Prizes for Academic Excellence at the ANU and UC Law Schools.
In addition, the Law Society runs several sporting competitions throughout the year.